* The national Policy on Disaster Management was approved by the Union Cabinet in 2009.
* The chairman of the National Disaster Management Authority is Prime Minister.
* National Institute of Disaster Management is located at New Delhi.
* 1st Indian Disaster Management Congress was inaugurated on 29.11.2006.
* National Institute of Disaster Management publishes a biannual journal titled “Disaster and Development”.
* By the following measures we can significantly reduce the impact of disasters on our people.
a) Better Planning
b) Preparedness awareness
c) Mitigation measures
* According to the World Bank, during the period 1996 to 2000, the approximate percentage loss of gross domestic produce due to disasters was 2.25%.
* National Disaster Response Fund is the result of the 13th Finance Commission.
* Of the total 35 States/Union Territories in India, 25 are Disaster Prone